Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Happy Little Vegemite


On my way to work today, I decided to stop in at World Market - a new (6 months ago) store to the Memphis area. It's basically in the same parking lot as my office and I was running a few minutes early. As I drove by there this morning, the thought crossed my mind that they just might have Vegemite. As I mentioned on a previous post...I have been in search of Vegemite for the last week but had pretty much resolved to waiting until our visit in July.

I searched the aisles of imported food and came across TIM TAMS, Cadbury Flakes, Time Outs, Curly Wurlys and other Cadbury Gems. Ahh...the mouth waters. Alas, no Vegemite. On my way out, the store clerk asked if I found everything I needed. (she could probably tell by my face that I did not!) I asked her if they stocked Vegemite. I expected a blank, 'never heard of it' stare. Instead she said, 'oh yeah, right this way'. She led me to the 'Product of AustRIA' aisle (go figure...Australia..Austria...) and lo and behold...there sat my Vegemite.

She knew I was happy. Trying not to be too giddy, I politely told her how she had made my day, and went on and paid my $2.99 plus tax for the goods.

I'm still pretty pumped about my find. It's very timely - since today is ANZAC day and all, and since I've had about all the peanut butter and honey, and jelly on toast that I can handle for some time. And to think it's been right there all this time.

'Australians all let us rejoice....' Memphis has Vegemite!

2 comments:

Daniel said...

Way to go. Kellie and I were actually there over the weekend and after reading your previous post, I looked for it there. I did not see it and they were busy so I did not ask. I am glad they directed you to its location.

Campbell Family said...

What about Minities? Did they have any Minities? I'm having mint fits. I had to take a final last week and was thinking to myself, "It's moments like these..." Rus