Friday, October 24, 2008

If I'm bald the next time you see me . . .

. . . its because I set my hair on fire.

I picked up this saying for a friend, and it works well for me. There are just some times when 'I want to set my hair on fire'. Its usually during times of high stress. Don't get me wrong, we are doing fine, things are great. But its just what an upcoming move across the big pond does to me.

We've done it several times before. But this time is signifanctly different. For one thing we have a daughter to consider. We still have money to raise. People to see. Goods to sell. Boxes to pack. Affairs to put in order. Not to mention my job as a travel agent, and relationships to maintain in the meantime. And then there is the emotional aspects of any move. Our days are filled with 'lasts'. Last time to see this person and that person. Honestly, I'd take care of the physical things any day.

One of the biggest things is making sure all of our paperwork is in order. Good news - the sponsorship for Jason's Religious Worker visa has been approved. Now we just have to gather all of the appropriate, certified documents and mail them off to DC. And wait. Ella has her US passport, and her paperwork for 'Australian Citizenship by Descent' is also in the works. Once we get that back - we apply for her Australian passport. Just found out yesterday that means a trip to Houston. We have an appointment booked for December 9th. Now I pray that the her paperwork, and all supporting documents, are in fact back in my hands by the 8th.

We have to move out of our apartment by November 30th. So I am anxious for all the paperwork we have out there to be back by then so we don't have to be too concerned about the whole forwarding address thing. Both of my passports, Ella's US passort, our original marriage certificate and original birth certificates are all at the mercy of the USPS right now. Yes - I often wake up in the middle of the night thinking of yet another thing I have to take care of.

We are currently in Oklahoma on an 18 day road trip. The trip was extended because of an opportunity to meet with another church. This is a good thing. We will be home in Austin for four nights before getting back on the road. This time bound for Tennesee and Georgia. Once we get home from that trip, we will be furiously packing and getting rid of our things, arranging for international movers to come and get our things, before heading to Abilene for Thanksgiving. You can probably see why I was not thrilled about another road trip to Houston.

Please remember us during this time. Pray for our strength. We get tired. Pray we will provide Ella with a safe, happy and loving environment in spite of the constant physical changes. Pray that we all remain healthy. And please pray that Jason's visa, Ella's citizenship and all goes smoothly and comes back in a timely manner.

We sure are blessed though to carry this little one with us on our journey . . .

7 comments:

Campbell Family said...

Nicole, she is so precious! And obviously eating well! Love those fat cheeks. -- Laura

Rachel said...

So much to carry around in your head at once--I'm stressed just reading about it! I will definitely be praying that it all goes smoothly. It's much easier said than done, but make sure you read Philippians 4:6-8 often! :)

Anonymous said...

What an angel! I can only imagine what it must be like to care for a tiny one while you're on the road, but Ella certainly doesn't look like she's suffering! The three of you are often in our thoughts.

I've finally posted a baby bump pic at my new mommy blog: http://www.sustainablemommy.wordpress.com. It's a little weird seeing those changes from a different angle. :)

NandL said...

Oh, God bless you guys!! It is TOUGH when all that stuff has to be done. And especially when those important things have to be done NOW and those important papers are in other hands. That is nervewracking!! We just had some friends go back to the states with an emergency passport for their one and a half month old. So glad they had that option when they didn't get his passport back in time for the flight!!!

Jerita said...

You are in our prayers for blessings and success for your endeavors, safe passage, comfort for your head (and body), and peace of mind and spirit. We miss you! Kiss those fat cheeks for grammy, pawpa, Melissa and Stephen.

Kyle Smith said...

First things first, your daughter is adorable!

Secondly we completely understand your stress. The month leading up to our departure was incredibly crazy and I'm sure I freaked out enough for the both of us. It won't make you feel any better to hear it, but you'll get through it. We're praying for you and your team during the transition. We're glad you'll finally be joining us on the south side of the world.

Unknown said...

And I now realize that my last post didn't actually help anything. I hope you guys are able to find peace in the midst of the chaos!! We are all thinking of you!! ^-^
HUGS!!
Laura and co...