We're not sure how much she weighs right now but judging from her cheeks, thighs and those little fat rolls making themselves known on her arms and back, I am thinking we could be pushing 8lbs. Most people who see her exclaim 'she's SO little' while we marvel at our 'big baby'.

It is amazing to think of all that Ella has learned in four weeks since entering this world. For the most part people only give thought to all the changes the parents go through but I look at her and her reactions to sound, movement and so on, and I realize that she too is experiencing a whole new world. She just gets more sleep than we do!
Speaking of sleep . . . we are getting some. Some nights more than others. Since watching a DVD called 'The Happiest Baby on the Block' and learning about the five S's for calming your baby, we have noticed a significant change in Ella's ability to sleep at night for longer stretches.

Ella's umbilical cord fell off and we have braved two real baths since then. She is not overly impressed with the whole bath thing. This could have something to do with the fact that her parents are not overly confident with the process yet. Bath time usually begins with some crying. The crying is replaced by the 'deer in the headlights' look, and we end bathtime as quickly as possible. Our goal is to minimise the crying, help her feel as secure as possible, and get the diaper back on asap! :) We hope to make improvements in this area. Finally we brush Ella's hair with a (brand new) toothbrush. We didn't recieve one of the nice, soft hairbrushes while in the hospital so we improvised. As I said . . . improvements to come!

This past Sunday was Ella's first cradle roll / Bible class. I dropped her off and walked empty handed to our own Bible class. Very strange. I managed to focus relatively well during our class. It is amazing that every single day my baby takes steps towards her independance. Sure, they're not big or obvious steps right now, but they ARE happening. And as her mother, I have to learn how savour the precious moments of now, but also rejoice in these steps and be ok with them.

We've had a few smiles. While most are clearly unintentional on her part, I am almost positive that one of two were on purpose. I promise you she looked right at me, our eyes locked, she smiled and her whole being said 'Momma I love you!' If I am completely wrong here, I don't need to know it. I can handle being ignorant! :) About once a day, Ella will also let out a brief and very angelic laugh in her sleep. There is absolutely nothing sweeter.
There is no doubt - Ella has stolen our hearts.
3 comments:
I love it!! You guys are doing so wonderful! Everyone learns at their own speed and on their own comfort level. Parenting isn't the same for any two families. Every mom and dad are different and every child is different and that is what makes us special.
I too loved to see each one of my girls looking at me and just thinking to myself....she is trying to tell me.."mommy, I love you!" Now that all of mine are bigger, they all insist that they were for sure telling me that. :) Sweet babies...even at 4, 6 and 8 1/2 .
Hope to see you again soon!
Wow, Nicole -- she has certainly gained a lot of weight. Good job, and yay for mama's milk! Love seeing those fat rolls. And bathtime is like everything else -- it gets easier with time. As a new mom, the two things I was most freaked out about were bathing Alex and cutting his fingernails! Can't wait to see you guys! Congrats on making it to four weeks. Love, Laura
She is so precious. You're right about all the little steps to independence.
I was laughing though when you said Ella was such a big baby at 4 weeks and 8lbs-ish. My kids were 9,15 and 9,13 at birth. I never experienced them out of the womb at 8 lbs let alone at 4 weeks old. I noticed the little 2 month old at church tonight and I think she's about the size that Isaac was at birth.
Post a Comment