Sunday, August 10, 2008

Two Weeks of Life

We've been enjoying our baby girl outside of the womb for just over two weeks. She is thriving and weighed in a 7lbs 1 ounce at her two week check up. I have to admit, while wonderful to carry her in our arms, I do miss carrying her within me. Seeing her grow from within, hearing her heartbeat and feeling her kicks were all such special moments. I am so thankful for that experience.

We went to see my doctor last week and it was truly a strange thing to go there without the belly - like I had lost a part of my identity. The whole pregnancy thing almost seems surreal now.

Don't get me wrong - I love having her outside of the womb, too. Its a whole new world. Right now she is sleeping outstretched on her blankie. She is there most of the day. We give her lots of snuggles, but we also put her down. I need the break from the very frequent nursing. One of my favorite times to hold her though is when she is done nursing. She is so content. It is so hard to put her down!

There are some things about the pregnancy that I do not miss though! Like itchy hands and feet. And the restless nights caused by the pregnant body, leg cramps, crazy dreams, frequent trips to the bathroom etc. Of course, while I sleep "better" now, I am no longer a woman of 8-10 hours of sleep per night. :) Who would have thought that two or three hours of sleep would feel so good!

Ella is quite a patient baby. She is sweet natured and usually content. She seems to be a thinker. We wonder about what???


You have to wonder what a sweet little girl like her has done to make her parents end up like this:



At this point we're pretty much sticking to just the essential outings. This was one to Target. Ella and I went along so that Dad wouldn't be stressed by my shopping list and coupons. Our cart looked quite different to how it has in the past. I have come close to saying I'll never go out again! But I am sure that will pass and we will get the hand of getting out the door in one piece.

3 comments:

Campbell Family said...

She has grown and filled out so much in just two weeks! Isn't it amazing how quickly they change? Good to see your updates.

NandL said...

Oh, she is just toooo sweet!
Laura H...

Rachel said...

She is so beautiful. I remember some similar feelings after I had Carly to what you've described. With Isaac I didn't have time to think though!
Glad to see that you're all doing well and getting out of the house. Before you know it, you'll be doing just about everything like you had before, just with an extra arm load.