Friday, February 24, 2006

Time

I sometimes feel like life is just going too fast. Jason and I somehow manage to do one thing consistently well....'busyness'. We're very good at 'being busy'. The days seem to be turning into weeks, then months, then years - quicker than ever before! 2006 marks the beginning of our 4th year in Memphis. We are running the home stretch of our time in Memphis - or at least of Jason's time at HUGSR - and the feelings are very mixed.

This week I went to the Outback Steakhouse. I worked there for about 3 months when we first moved here. What a blast from the past that was. I felt a mixture of emotions...the smell of this place took me clearly back to my days of waiting tables. When I started there, I didn't know a thing about waiting tables. But I learned fast! I have both good memories and bad memories from my days at the Outback. My jeans still bear a scar from a fall in the kitchen. And thanks to the Outback, I am still addicted to sweet iced tea...how very un-Australian. The irony! The store manager remembered me when I ate there the other night. Let's assume she remembers only good things about me. :-)

So my visit there this week was just a loud reminder that time flies. It feels like three years in Memphis have literally slipped through my fingers. It makes me want to savor every day we have left here...and for all I know we could spend the rest of our time in the US, right here in Memphis.

In the meantime - there is a lot to do. For now - Jason will continue to study, I will continue to work. Together, with our team, we will continue to make steps towards the mission field. I just hope that in the midst of all the 'must dos', that we will remember to enjoy life as we know it right now. You might want to help remind me...

3 comments:

Campbell Family said...

What a good reminder for all of us! Rusty and I have sure felt that way about our first few months back in Japan. The time seems to be flying... Of course, now that I am just days (hopefully) away from having this baby, things seem to drag on. But usually, I feel like I'm fighting to hold on to the moment. May God's peace cover you as you start looking towards your next step! Love -- Laura

Anonymous said...

You know why the older we get the faster time seems to go don't you? It's really quite simple... it's because the longer we live the less proportionate one year (or one month, week, day, hour, minute) is to our lives.

Think about it... when you're 2 years old 1 year is half your life. When you're 10, it's 1/10th of your life... by the time you're 30 it's 1/30th of your life... that's a lot less than half!

The only way around it I've found is what I like to call "Biblical amnesia."

"Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 3:13b-15

Jason said...

Ash - thanks for your comment. Um...I am not sure about the baby. We are not having a baby.....