Never having been a wedding dreamer as a child, teen or young adult for that matter, (though I DID enjoy my wedding!) I find it fun/alarming/puzzling/sweet that Ella is SO into getting married. At least once a day, my children marry each other. Dressed often as superman but almost always with a King's cape, Noah has even taken to going down on one knee for his bride!
A few nights ago, a distressed Jason called me into the kid's room so that I could 'explain to Ella why she couldn't kiss boys'. The conversation was gut churning and yet hysterical. She is only JUST four, after all. 'But I already love them' she said when I suggested that for now, kissing is best reserved for people she really loves -- like family...her mum, dad and Noah. I guess this is what happens when you encourage very open communication with kids. Their minds wonder and wander from so early on.
And then last night, Ella was nagging me about my wedding dress. 'Where is it? Can I wear it?', she kept asking. I thought perhaps Jason had been talking to her about my dress or showed pictures of her BFF, Lily, who recently dressed up in her mum's wedding dress. But no, it seems, (unless Ella and Lily are texting late at night) this was all from her. Those two girls seem quite connected though! They're just five days apart in age and would be happy if their only clothes were dress-ups. Each year, we spend 5 nights together at a Christian family camp. I can only imagine the conversations they might have late into the night as they grow. Back to Ella's request -- inspired by Kate's gift to Lily of letting her play in her wedding dress, and Ella's curiosity and persistence, I thought 'why not?' And so today we opened a box which has been sealed since January of 2002!
First came the veil, which wasn't actually sealed with the dress. In fact when Ella was not quite 6 months old, I placed the veil on her when we first moved to Australia, after going through my things at mum's house.
Doesn't every bride check on her Bearded Dragon Lizards while getting ready?
The anticipation builds! The box is brought down from the closet
Someone was a little bit delighted! Oh and in case you're wondering if I rushed out to pick some flowers as a prop? No, I didn't. Ella picked these yesterday and as soon as she had the dress on said 'Mum! Please get those flowers for me!' She knows how a wedding should roll!
I'm not sure what I've been saving my wedding dress for. I realize that the chances of Ella choosing to wear my dress are probably pretty low, and not something I had my heart set on anyhow (although I would be thrilled should she marry and want to wear it!) What fun to see her joy and delight in trying on my dress. We've long told her stories of how her Mum and Dad met, and fell in love and of our wedding day. Tonight she played with my wedding ring on my finger while I sang "Jesus Loves Me" to her. I wonder if she will remember this day?
This doesn't come without angst for me as a parent, but with all her curiosity and great enthusiasm for weddings and getting married, it makes for a perfect way to share with her how special marriage is. We talk about how maybe one day she might meet a man who loves God and who will love her and be very kind to her (keep it simple, right?!) Today she smiled big and nodded her head and said 'yeah, and we can spend the REST of our lives together!'
Now if only Jason will let her out before she's say, 30.
3 comments:
I am soooo glad you are blogging again! Loved reading this and YES can you imagine the convos our girls will have at camp over the years!!! *gasp* just had visions of them spending a week of school holidays w each other at ur place or ours in years to come like i used to w my sydney church friends... fun times :) Anyway, yes its scary these girls are thinking about such things but i love that you are focusing her heart on God's plan for her... what a special memory you made w her today!
Oh my stars, Nicole--that last pic of your cuties could melt anybody's heart!!! This is a precious memory, and I love that you are blogging again! It's just hard to keep it up, isn't it?! :)
Absolutely love the blog!
Post a Comment