Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The highs, the neutrals and the lows

HIGHS: We live in a beautiful place -

This is the view from our kitchen window of Mt. Kembla. Our view is beautiful. We really live in a pretty place and I love being near these mountain ridges and the ocean.


We can worship God wherever we are:

The first Sunday worshipping was at our home...on the floor


Our second Sunday worshipping at Wollongong was at the Mullins house. Note the upgrade from the floor to a sofa!

Ella is soooo happy! I am understanding more why Jesus said we must be like the little ones.


Wide variety of ethnic foods:


THE NEUTRALS: The clothes line -

Being back in Australia means hanging clothes on the line to dry. It is second only to ironing on my list of detestable household duties. And line drying means a whole lot more ironing. I confess though, that after 10 days solid of rain, we purchased a clothes dryer. It is a small 4.5kg capacity dryer but it will do the trick during rainy spells like that, or if I want to return something to its normal size! :) Sometimes I have to wonder "did I really grow up here!??" This is labeled as a neutral rather than a low because I think it would be good for me to grow in my acceptance of this as a cultural norm.


AND THE LOWS: There will be some lows that won't make it to the blog. But this one must be known. Please pray for me sanity as I deal with such things -

This my friends was IN MY HOUSE. Referred to by Australians as a normal, harmless, house spider. The Hunstman. I'm sorry but this is not "normal", and while harmless, it is not welcome in my home. That said, we did not intend to kill it, just remove it from the house. But in the process, this one did lose its life.


And yes, this is the leg that my biology major husband is holding. Not a nose hair.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Ok first of all, yum. Is that udon or something like it you're eating. Looks delicious.
And secondly yuck! I would definitely not be welcoming that "monster" into my home either. I'm not too surprised that Jason was holding that leg, but the picture makes it look like he was eating it. Good thing you included the caption.
And thirdly, I feel you're pain with hanging up the laundry. They just returned our electricity rates back to normal after our latest avalanche so I'm gladly using our dryer again. But we used about 1/2 the kW/h from the month before by just cutting out the dryer and being careful about lights.
Oh, and what a blessing that Ella is a good traveler.
Love you all,
Rachel

Anonymous said...

AH! That is a "normal" spider? Holy cow, that is a nightmare! I thought roaches were bad! I'll definitely pray for your sanity! :D I freaked out just looking at it!

The view is beautiful.
Love ya!

Jason said...

Rachel-it is not udon...just some ramen type noodles in a delicious broth. I love noodles and broth! It had a pile of bokchoy greens in it too. This was a Chinese/Cambodian place and each bowl was about $7 AUD so around $4.50 USD...very nice. There are also endless numbers of Thai places and we found one we really like. It is nice to get good, cheap Asian food again.

Jason said...

Shelby - yeah 'normal' spider. Ugh. So bad. We have a video of it and I am screaming in the background!

Anonymous said...

I would be too! Goodness, that gives me the creeps. I told Peyton and he freaked out. It's gotta be bad when he gets grossed out! :)