Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Thoughts from a pregnant chic due in August

We purchased a new digital camera but are awaiting our old smart media card in the mail. Long story. But pictures to come soon.

We're making connections and new friends. And thanks to email, blogs and facebook we are able to do a pretty good job of keeping in touch with the old.

Last week was Champs Camp. All week I kept thinking it was VBS, but it was really a sport themed day camp. For a spiritual emphasis, there was a daily chapel time, and one of the stations the kids rotated through each day was a Bible lesson. I was in the craft building so all the kids passed through during the day to make a sport themed craft. We had about 130-140 kids - most of these being from the community and about 85 volunteers from the congregation. The children's and youth minister at Round Rock put together an awesome week for the kids and it ran like clockwork thanks to their hard work.

We found a Vietnamese restaurant right around the corner - we love it. Could become a favorite date night spot.

We're keeping on keeping on. It is HOT down here. Since I am obviously rather pregnant these days, it is quite a conversation starter. For the most part the attention is welcome. I am served often with a smile, by random strangers. I asked a man at H.E.B where the carts were. He looked right at the belly and said 'stay here!' He put on his sombrero and ran out in the heat to bring me back a cart. Very sweet.

When people ask me when the baby is due, I get some interesting responses to my answer of 'August 10th'. Most people groan, or roll their eyes. Others tell me how hot and unbearable the last couple of months are going to be for me. I try to act thankful for such enlightenment. Tongue in cheek. Another interesting response is one such as 'oh my great grandmother was born on August 30th'. I mean, how do you respond to that!?! 'Oh, well I sure do hope I get to be pregnant for an extra TWENTY of those HOT, UNBEARBALE DAYS you are predicting so they can share a birthday'. I am sure they're just searching for a connection to my baby . . . August 10th and August 30th are in the same month, after all. I say all this in good (pregnant) humor.

I hope you readers out there don't think I'm crazy but on a slightly more serious note (for me), I have received an overwhelming number of labor and delivery stories. All from very well meaning people, I know. However, remember, I am a first time momma! And I don't even like going to the dentist!!! (although I have made great strides there thanks to our wonderful dentist in Memphis). But it just doesn't do my mind well to know too much information. I know where I can get it, and know who I can ask if I really, really, really need to know something! And I probably WON'T be sharing a whole lot of information with people about our delivery/birth experience! That is just not me. I do anticipate sharing the peace that God granted during this time though.

So go easy on me!!!

Seriously, all is well. I feel great physically, I am even able to enjoy incline walks right now as a 'work out' and just love to see and watch my daugther thriving within me. She is getting so big and is so strong.

6 comments:

The Lj's said...

Nicole... ready for my advice... you can do it and just remember there is nothing sweeter than holding your sweet baby in your arms after all these months with her inside you! You will do awesome and you will have all the strength and energy you need from above... the most wonderful thing is that everyones experience is different and wonderfully theirs alone! We are praying for you guys!

Anonymous said...

I remember people saying to me "your still here" when I was pregnant with Kenny..I got really tired of that.. it is like no I am not still pregnant with Kenny I am just huge for nothing..lol I am not one to share my stories unless asked..there is not much to tell with mine..anyway you know if you need any advice you can e-mail me!

Laura

Unknown said...

Your post really rang true with me, Nicole- like you I was preggers in the hottest part of the year in Adelaide- February. I was sooo sick of people telling me how horrible the heat was going to be! Sure enough we had a huge heatwave of 45 degree celcius days which lasted 2 weeks!!!!!!! On the day I went into labour I went to the beach & thought for sure there would be a whale sighting segment on the news that night!!!! LOL.
Anyway, I had the best birth experience ever & it's unfortunate that there are not enough people out there who can say that...........
Good luck!
ps- it's Louise Dobson here (now Townsin)- not sure if you would remember me or not.........

Anonymous said...

LOL. You have a good way of telling your stories, you should think about being a writer!! I don't even attempt to tell people them, I just send them to your blog. Love you, and looking forward to seeing you with your new baby. Cheryl

Zoomi said...

Well, I'd like you to tell me how your labor and delivery went... So, we will email each other :)
I'm glad you are doing great! I'm nervous about the pain, too. But we can do it! Ganbaro~ :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Nicole, I saw Jason on Facebook and he reminded me you were due soon. I skipped over here to your blog and thought you entry here sounds remarkably like my thoughts when I was pregnant with my first. I also had some "tongue in cheek" comments to make :-) All the best to you and I wish you a safe and healthy delivery.