Three years ago, I attended a seminar at the Germantown Baptist church. At that time, I was a a relatively new travel agent . . . essentially an order taker, problem solver, dream fulfiller . . . My clients were simply 'clients'. I took information and payments, gave documents and gave them a welcome home call. End of story -- until they were ready for their next trip.
Today I sat again in these very pews - this time at a funeral, celebrating the life of a client who passed away this Monday evening. As I sat there today, in this time of sorrow and loss, I thanked God for my job and for the unexpected blessing of a handful of clients who I deal with so often that they have become friends.
Less than one week before this elderly man's passing, he and his family arrived in Memphis at a private airport and I was able to be there to welcome them home. This man traveled with his wife, children and grandchildren to pursue experimental treatment for his cancer. They returned with the news that he was too weak for the treatment. Two days later, he was on morphine and under hospice care. I am so thankful for my interactions with this family. I witnessed great care and concern. Love. Respect. Sorrow. Peace. It is indescribable, really. And these weren't just end-of-life emotions. For several years now I have witnessed the same care . . . concern . . . love . . . respect.
Two weeks ago today - this very family and their same company employees buried their dear friend. He was also a client of mine, one who I dealt with almost daily. He died in the arms of a co-worker. Unaware of his passing, I was leaving messages for both of these guys about 30 minutes after he was pronounced dead from a heart attack. Needless to say, the news of his death was shocking. Those words echoed in my mind for days. This man did not have 50 years of marriage, or grandchildren. He was 38 with a wife and two young children. He was a Dad who read Proverbs to his children every day before school.
My relationship with this family and their employees is unique. Such a bond is not formed with all clients . . . I honestly don't think I could handle that! And it hasn't been about favortism. I believe God allowed our paths to cross and these relationships to form. There have been lessons learned . . . I believe on both ends.
The deaths of these two special people have had a great effect on me. Death is alway a reminder that our lives are not really ours. It is a reminder to live each moment and love those around us. They are hard lessons to learn. Why do we need to be reminded? And why do we forget them to quickly? I've wondered 'why God' when I think of loved ones left behind and imagine their grief and pain. I've honestly asked myself, 'Nicole - do you believe this?' 'Do you believe in eternal life?' 'Do you believe life with God is better than life on earth?' Yes, even in grief and loss -- I do.
I am thankful for these clients -- my friends -- who have been great examples of faith and hope and strength in the Lord. I think the events of these two weeks are 'process items' that will continue to strengthen and shape me for some time.
2 comments:
Nicole,
What a great story. Sad, and happy.
I was talking to Brian once, and he said, "I wonder if when we die it's like birth to God."
Cheryl and I just got in from visiting with Don and Lila Carpenter. We are getting ready to fly out to Denver Thur. night.
WE LOVE YOU BOTH.
doug
I'm behind Doug on reading, but what profound thoughts and isn't it neat to see how God does work in our lives with everyone we come in contact with. These are the experiences that mature us as Christians and allow us to come to assist those who will cross our paths in the future. Cheryl
Post a Comment