Sunday, April 29, 2007

Not enough steps...to the Nashville 1/2 Marathon...

Saturday, April 28th was the Nashville Country Music Marathon. You might remember that I gifted Jason with registration for both of us to run the 1/2 Marathon. The last few weeks I wondered if I had done this in a less than sane moment! Nonetheless, in the meantime, Jason's brother Stephen agreed to join us. Despite the best of intentions, I, at least, did not maintain the rigorous training schedule I had planned out. My longest run had been the 10km (6.2 miles) three weeks ago. So, every step beyond 6.2 miles was a record for me. I finished in 2:42 and some seconds. I am not proud of my time, but I would have to say I am proud that I finished 13.1 miles. Some 34,000 people competed in the event yesterday - it was huge. We celebrated Saturday night at the Outback Steakhouse. Rumour has it that you might see us in the Memphis St, Jude 1/2 Marathon this year. No promises - but the race inspired to keep running and maintaining a level of fitness that allows me to participate in events like this.

Team Whaley

Team Nieman

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Wow, I'm impressed! I am a "wannabe" runner, and am looking forward to September when I can start my Couch to 5k program again (you know, after all this baby business is done, hehe). Perhaps one day I'll build up to a half-marathon. Right now though, that seems HUGE! Well done :)

Our Family said...

Way to go! I am very impressed because I am not a runner at all. A friend I grew up with ran in this marathon too.