Monday, June 19, 2006

Greetings from Abilene


We enjoyed our trip from Memphis to Abilene. The weather leaving Memphis was rainy and stormy. We were glad to leave that behind once we entered Arkansas. We spent the night in Greenville, Texas and then finished the drive to Abilene on Sunday morning. It is good to be here and be with Jason's family. We are able to relax and enjoy being together. Today we played tennis at ACU. So far Stephen is the champion. He is more resiliant to the dry Abilene heat than us Memphians. Ok...I am speaking for myself...the husband loves heat of any kind - dry or wet! I have become quite a creature of comfort since my Japan days. I can not forget laying on the futon and breathing mist or the ice on the bathroom floor in the winter. Nor the oppresive heat and humidity of the summer months (relentless from morning till night). I can't decide whether to call it a blessing that we can be so 'comfortable' in this country. I guess I wonder what the (longterm) costs of such comfort will be. That's a whole other tangent though...

We have also enjoyed time with Steven, Wendy and Matthew Gist. We were fellow AETS in Mito. It is wonderful to reconnect even after many years. Matthew is so cute and full of energy, and the Gists will soon welcome twins into their family! We really appreciate their friendship and their gentle, humble spirits.

Stay tuned for more on the Abilene Open and other happenings from the 'Big Country'.

2 comments:

NandL said...

Hey guys!! Thanks for the updates and pics. WOW!! TWINS!!! I hope they're ready for that... :)
But really. If you get a chance, PLEASE tell Wendy I said 'Konnichiwa'!! I don't have any way to contact them...
Thanks!
Laura H...

Agent B said...

Nice to see the Gists on the internet.

Small world.