Friday, June 23, 2006

A needy plant

Can anyone help me save this plant. I need to know:




a) what kind of plant is it?
b) what does it need?

When we bought it...it had three stems. It now has just 1 healthy one (with significantly less leaves than it started with).

I know I need to repot it asap - but any other help would be appreciated.

And just for the record my other indoor plants are thriving!

4 comments:

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Jason,

I am not a green thumb. Sorry! But hey . . . do you want me to pray for it, :-)

It was great to meet you and Nicole during my recent trip to Memphis. I will be sending an email about some Root Beer we were talking about.

Check out my blog if you get a chance. It is at http://stoned-campbelldisciple.blogspot.com/

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
Milwaukee, WI

mark, charity, freedom, & courage said...

You really need Rachel Phelps to give you some advice. However, it looks an awful lot like the plant we have in our living room. I water it only once about every 2 weeks or so and leave it in a place where it gets some direct sunlight and a lot of indirect sunlight. I'd say "overwatering" could be a problem. Only give it water when the dirt around it is dry and parched-looking.

Carisse said...

The plant is a scheffelera. I may have one too many "e"s in that word. It needs fairly strong filtered light and not too much water. Cut off the wilted parts and disinfect the knife with diluted bleach between cuts. You can put it out on the walk in front of your apartment in the mornings, but not in the midday or afternoon, 'cause it will fry. If it has any little bugs on the underside of the leaves, wash it gently with an old soft pair of underwear and a good soapy solution, then rinse. Soap kills almost all bugs.

Water only when you can put your finger down in the dirt to the first joint (one inch or so) and not feel damp. Then really soak it, like put it in a tub for 30 minutes, and then let it drain out completely.

I have one of these in a floor-to-ceiling window that faces west on the ACU library's northwest corner. But I wouldn't put yours in such strong sun until it feels better.

Come around the next time you're in Abilene.

Jason said...

Thanks to all for your words of advice. The plant seems to be doing well and I've made the suggested adjustments regarding light and water!