Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Baby Wearing

For the past five hours (and counting, he doesn't look like giving in anytime soon), my son has been 'baby wearing' with a stuffed tiger down his shirt.  I first noticed it when I lay down in his bed at nap time (I guard nap time fiercly, which means I often choose to lay there and make sure he doesn't get up and start yahooing in he and his sister's room).  

I thought surely he'd ditch the tiger for a more comfortable nap.  But no, he slept that way, woke that way, has eaten his snack that way and is currently sitting on the sofa with one arm cradled around his little baby for extra support.  He even just used the potty this way and has given him a drink!


Post nap (cuuuutie!!!!)


All wrapped up!  Perhaps he remembers the security ;-)


I guess they've seen a lot of baby wearing in their short lives and are going to carry on the tradition



Snacking with his 'baby'


This little scene has taken me back to the years of wearing my babies.  When we had Ella, baby bjorns were very popular and ours has had some good use.  Since I was pregnant again so soon, Jason took up wearing the baby we had while I grew the next one :-)

Chilling out in Austin at a garage sale we had before moving to Australia (wow, this seems like yesterday)


Enjoying a stroll in Abilene


And...exhausted!


One of our favorite places to go to 'get out of town' is Carrington Falls.


With Noah soon to arrive, and Ella at the tender age of not yet even 15 months old AND not yet walking, we had to get a bit more creative with the baby carrying/wearing.  Jason scored this fantastic Kathmandu backpack at a car boot/trunk sale.  

Ella was not impressed with her new ride at first.

 

 

But she came around! On our annual family retreat just before Noah was born

 

Good for being carried in.  Good for taking naps in.  Bless her.  A brand new big sister of just 10 days, Viva la Gong festival was just too much for her.


I can't remember exactly how old Noah was when I purchased a baby wrap.  He was in pain due to colic, was so fussy, and I was exhausted.  Best money spent!  I certainly got my moneys worth out of this thing.  It took some time getting used to putting it on but soon it was his our happiest place.  SO comfortable (waaaay more comfy than the bjorn), SO secure, and I'm not going to lie...I quite enjoyed having my baby close to me so often :-) 

And so, snuggled in the baby wrap, there he grew, and slept, and learned to suck those two fingers, and grew a little more.  And I got a lot done; from dishes to hanging out the laundry, to just enjoying a happier baby.  I think I wrapped and carried him until he was 17 months old, and often with Ella on one hip.  It was definitely a conversation starter!





I did occasionally let him out of the wrap for a ride in the bjorn :-)


 No stopping us now!  8 weeks old and out and about enjoying the Blue Mountains


Definitely a lifesaver for our young, busy family


















1 comment:

Cecilia said...

Aw such sweet memories. Didn't realize Noah sucked those two fingers - Megan did too. I would have loved a baby wrap but don't think they were widely available in my kid days. Oh well. Love your sweet family. Noah is so cute carrying his baby!