Wednesday, January 12, 2011

2010 gives way to 2011

Happy New Year from our family to yours (yes, this may be replacing our actual New Years card/letter AGAIN, this year. Forgive me and please don't remove me from your card list just yet!)


I'm not sure how to best summarize 2010. Having a baby in 2008, an international move in 2009 and another baby that same year, kind of makes 2010 pale in comparison. In some ways we thrived, and in others we just survived. We have much to be thankful for in spite of the challenges. I'm extremely thankful for our friends and family who visited us throughout the year (too many to name, but you know who you are; thank you for coming!), and for the new friendships here in Wollongong. There's nothing quite like beginning to feel at home and of having a sense of belonging.

Over Thanksgiving we traveled to Perth, WA in November for the wedding of good friends. While we didn't feast on turkey this year, we did enjoy excellent hospitality and amazing sunsets.

In December we traveled to Brisbane to be with my family for Christmas. We went expecting sunshine in the Sunshine State but instead got lots and lots of rain. And sadly, as you probably know, the city and surrounding areas are currently devastated by floodwaters.

After Christmas we drove back south to spend the last few days of the year at Camp Challenge. It was a great week of fellowship, learning, rest and recreation. Our kids love it and one thing that we especially enjoy is the many extra hands who help care for our kids! Thank you!

So here we are in 2011. We have already enjoyed visits this year from friends in Canberra and family in Victoria. It was good to get home and reconnect with our church family here in Wollongong and friends from Mother's group who I so enjoy spending time with.

Ella will be starting at a new 'school' soon as the lovely carer who has been having my kids on Fridays is relocating to Perth. Noah will get to enjoy a few hours as an only child each week while Ella gets to spread her wings in her new environment. There isn't anything that Ella can't say these days. We so enjoy listening to her (though sometimes we learn that she is REALLY listening to EVERYTHING we say!) Recently she has begun to sing songs on her own which warms our heart to no end! Thanks to her Dad and Grammy and aunt Miss in Texas for nurturing her love of song and music. She loves craft (she used to call it 'scrap' - lol) and drawing. A favourite pastime of hers is eating from the garden and she can identify coriander (cilantro), basil, thyme, kale and strawberries. I'm thinking there aren't TOO many 2 year olds who eat kale from the garden! (and I have a feeling I may have already blogged about this fact . . . sorry!) Most recently Ella has really taken off in her swimming classes!

Noah is now walking and is such a handsome little guy (in our humble opinion!) He has finally started giving hugs and kisses; this delights all of us! He is a bit of a daredevil, throwing himself face first on to anything soft and climbing on things all. day. long! A favourite part of my day is taking him into Ella's room when she wakes from her nap. Ella receives him so sweetly and he goes wild with joy and then they wrestle on the bed together. Noah has started swimming classes also and is less than impressed so far, though I'm hopeful that he enjoy them more and more as Ella has. In the meantime, he gives great snuggles for the half hour! Real food still isn't one of his great loves, but give him a NON food item and it's sure to go straight in his mouth. Paper, chalk and gecko poo would be good examples.

We are constantly (as in multiple times a day) challenged by the raising and training of our two kids but thank God for two healthy, happy kids!



We will be heading to the US, also this year and are so looking forward to seeing those of you that we can. As we have more details, we'll be glad to let you know where we will be and when (you catch us on facebook or email for the details). We expect to come back with our cups full and ready to continue working here in Wollongong. Before then though, the first ScreamFree Parenting group/learning circle will be in February, Lets Start Talking will be re-launched once the university year begins, and Port Parables continues in Port Kembla. Pray that we will be open and willing to walk through doors that the Lord opens.

As I was thinking back on 2010 and looking towards 2011, these verses from Lamentations came to mind. I'm thinking that it is probably no coincidence that the same words were on my heart when I posted my first blog for 2010...

"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him."

The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him,
to the one who seeks him;
it is good to wait quietly
for the salvation of the Lord."

(Lamentations 3:22-26)

In the past year, there were times that I felt "done" or "consumed". But in hindsight I am so keenly aware of the ways in which God has taken care of us and sustained us. He has taught us, comforted us and given us peace in difficult times. I sure hope 2010's hindsight can become 2011's foresight more often than not! And so, as we start a new year, I'm thankful once more for the faithfulness, love and mercy of God. I hope to look back on this year and know that I've grown in allowing God to be more of my portion each day.

1 comment:

dshrock said...

Your a lovely writer! It was good to read this post! When you were talking about the singing it made me think of the numerous times Chris can be heard walking around singing Jason's songs :). Definitely let us know what your furlough plans are because we'd love to meet up with you anywhere.