Saturday, August 14, 2010

Ella's 2nd Birthday


We celebrated Ella's 2nd birthday at the end of July. I feel like I'm in some crazy time warp many days as I watch her running around, playing and talking. How has time gone so fast from the moment we learned I was pregnant, to her arrival, to now?

We celebrated among new friends this year. Earlier this year I was welcomed into the most amazing Mother's group ever, and the Sunday before her birthday we had a combined birthday for all of our "bubs" who celebrate their birthdays within just a few months of each other. We partied at the Green Bean Play cafe. The kids had a blast with the whole venue to themselves, complete with party whistles, party hats, music and cake. And us parents relaxed, enjoyed some party food ourselves and didn't have to worry about any clean up.








On Ella's actual birthday we invited a few more new friends to our home to celebrate. We had six kids under 2.5 years old in our home. The older three kids (all girls) enjoyed the slide in our living room and the three boys (all 10 months old) seemed to have a pretty good time themselves. That afternoon we continued to celebrate with Corey, Emily, Enoch and Greg. Ella ate cake...with sugar this time, and blew out the candles three times just because she could. And what birthday wouldn't be complete without a couple of skype calls with grandparents who live far away?











It was a wonderful day all around but the highlight for me was rocking to sleep my worn out birthday girl. She was out in less than five minutes but I sat there for about twenty. As I held her I remembered praying and waiting for this little girl. I remembered tears that fell over journal entries and in midnight prayers. I remembered ultrasounds, baby showers and her arrival. The day we chose her name, her first words and first steps. I'm thankful for birthdays which help me remember and rejoice in the faithfulness of God.

How blessed we are to raise this little girl! Happy 2nd Birthday, Ella.



5 comments:

Rachel said...

Such a sweet post! It is insane how quickly it is all going. Looks like the birthday parties were a hit--did you make that butterfly cake?? SO cute!

Megan said...

Such a sweet post. Happy Birthday Ella! I remember seeing a pregnant Nicole. :)

I love your butterfly cake. So cute.

Nicole Whaley said...

Thanks, ladies. Rachel -- yes, I did make that cake...I have a great book with patterns. Its a fun memory I have from my childhood...chosing my birthday cake from those books. I'm glad to do the same for my kiddos!

Rachel said...

What fun celebrations. I agree the 2nd birthday is in many ways as big as the first. They truly change from babies into little children during that year.
And what a great looking butterfly cake. You did a great job!

janine said...

What a sweet post! I am so glad you have been blessed with such a great group of friends! God bless you guys