Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Our resident beaver

Naive first time parents that we are, we didn't realize that Ella wasn't just drooling on the ottoman. She was in fact sinking her only two teeth deep into the leather ottoman/coffee table. She also did something similar along the bookcase.


(I know its bad to take a picture of the crime in action, but for the record...)




These days you hear a lot of "No ma'am..." and "We don't bite the ottoman..." and slapping on her little hand. She's smart. She gets it. Most times as she pulls herself up on these furniture items, she'll look at me and start shaking her head.

Sadly we're not always with her in this room. I noticed a few new marks the other day. The ottoman isn't as bad as the picture shows. I mean, yes, those marks are there. But the flash shows them up well. To just look at the ottoman, you can't see these bite marks.

Since Ella is now cutting one top incisor, if we are not vigilant, we could end up with some very interesting marks.

Cute little beaver.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

We just discovered a section of Abby's crib that has been stripped bare of the top layer. Talk about a little beaver! There's no telling how much wood that child has eaten!!

Rachel said...

Ok, apparently I've already lived in Alaska too long, because when I read your title I thought you had an actual beaver roaming around your neighborhood and that you had been lucky enough to catch it "on film". I was totally expecting to see a brown furry animal with a large tail. Not the cute little girl that was in the pictures.
As far as the teething thing goes, good for you to be strong on the disciplining. Isaac did something similar to my broom handle. It had a cushy foam covered handle that ever since he started teething now has little cuts and tears in it. At least it's a much cheaper item to replace than an ottoman.

Zoomi said...

Wow, she is biting those furniture good! Well, you can show her when she is older as a funny memory:)
Ella's so cute! I bet it's wired to have a long winter (in US and there)this year.

Jerita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Naomi said...

Awww--I truly LOL-ed! Ella's like the baby in Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events. Her strong teeth rescued the kids from more than one disaster. :)