Sixteen/Seventeen months ago I was pouring over pregnancy books. Marveling at my little "lentil" turned "raspberry" turned "fig". (FYI - the pregnancy books compare the size of the baby to food items for much of the pregnancy). I was seriously "proud" when I read things like 'this week, your baby is developing arm buds . . . ' You won't want to be around me when she graduates! :) More recently we've poured over books about how to get your baby to sleep better at night . . . I digress. :)
Some highlights of Ella's nine months in:
- obviously, learning we were expecting!
- feeling her first kicks with Jason while flying back to Memphis from Austin
- learning we were going to be parents of a daughter
- choosing her name
- hearing her heartbeat. Towards the end of the pregnancy, Jason even heard her heartbeat by just pressing his ear to my belly
- watching her MOVE each night. Unbelievable. How I missed that after she was born!
- reading Psalm 139 most days of the pregnancy
- the generosity, love and prayers people showered on us and covered us with during the pregnancy
- Waking up the morning of her birth knowing I would be holding my baby in a few hours. So hard to get my mind around that
(the very beginning of the journey . . . )
(just a couple of hours before Ella was born)

Our miracle!


And some highlights and memories of Ella's first nine months of life:
- hearing her cry for the first time. And my own tears that followed.
- holding her for the first time
- listening to Jason sing to her
- her newborn Pterodactyl noises
- traveling cross country together
- her thoughtful, curious look that she has had from birth
- her beautiful laugh
- her sweet talking voice
- the way she holds my fingers or plays with my hair while she nurses
- her recent scrunchy-nose-smile
- her generous kisses
- her falling asleep on Jason's shoulders recently
- and developmentally: Ella is crawling backwards, rocking on all fours, has two and a bit teeth, says momma, dada and bubba, is trying to pull up and dances to any music (even her dad's attempted beatboxing). . . hysterical.
Ella on her 9 month birthday
So much more to share and love about our nine month old. We are so thankful to God for her. Tonight I sat by her crib. I find myself full of praise, full of requests and yet speechless all at the same time.
Since I've been reflecting on Ella's nine-months-in, it only seems appropriate to share a little nine-month-related news. Recently we learned a little more about God's goodness, generosity and dare I say . . . humor?! We are expecting our second child! Surprise! Baby Whaley #2 is due in early November.
12 comments:
Baby #2!!!! Congrats guys!! :) I'm so happy for you! I loved this post by the way! I'd like to do something similar so that you never forget what this age was like!
Take care
Michelle xx
Oh and I started my own blog to keep track of these things: littlemrspinkie.blogspot.com
Congrats on baby #2! How exciting!
Ella is beautiful! Children are such an extraordinary blessing from God....I feel so amazed at how blessed I am with my two.
Congratulations!! I'm really excited for you guys. It is amazing how much fun these little girls can be. Every stage that Cade hits I wish I could just freeze her there but then she does something new and I get excited about that too.
Amanda Copeland
I remember fretting w/ you about pregnancy at the travel agency so long ago...now you have a beautiful little girl & another one on the way! Love & miss you guys & congrats!
AAAAHHHH!!! Congrats! That's amazing! Ella is as beautiful as ever, and I am so excited for her to be a big sister! :)
Congratulations! I was just wondering the other day if i missed the "public" announcement! So excited for you guys and God does have a great sense of humor! Love you guys!
Wao! Congratulations, guys! What a surprise!! ^-^
Had me smiling and close to tears! She is so adorable! I wish I could remember when Peyton, Abby, and Levi were like that...
Miss you!
YEA!!! We are so excited for you guys. One beautiful baby and another on the way. Woo hoo!
Ummm, I just realized that the correct spelling for that word I was trying to write is Wow, not Wao.... ummmmm, I think I have been in Japan entirely. too. long... LOL!
Laura H...
Nicole!!! Congratulations!!! That's great!
Ella is so beautiful! Hard to believe it's already been nine months.
Wow! I don't know how I missed this post, but somehow I did. I was reading the one you put up a few days ago and saw something about a sibling and knew I was missing something. So I started scrolling down and scouring your posts. Then I found this one. Congratulations on your exciting news. And thanks so much for noting my post. I'm glad it inspired you. Your words about Ella were so sweet. They will be treasured by you and her for many years to come.
Rachel
Post a Comment