I've noticed how convenient many things are here in the good 'ole US of A. Sure, I don't use some of these...but just WHAT do you suppose I do when I find myself Down Under and want to:
- do 'drive-thru' banking?
- pick up prescription drugs at the drive-thru chemist/pharmacy?
- drop off or pick up my dry cleaning at...you guessed it...the drive-thru cleaners?
- shop at 10pm, or 11pm or better yet 2am?
- order my McDonalds meal while checking out my groceries at Wal-Mart or equivalent? (ok...I can probably live without this one! But what if???)
- ...
No doubt about it...America is convenient! What are you used to? Or for those around the world, what do you miss? Better yet, what conveniences does Japan? Italy? PNG? Australia? Bolivia? have to offer? I know you're out there!
5 comments:
I'll get you started...Japan has excellent gas station service. I would pull up to the 'gasoline stand' and 2,3 or 4 people would guide my car to a stop. Then they'd get busy washing my windows, filling the tank, giving me a towel to wash the inside and taking my payment...all from the luxury of the driver's seat. And at some stations they had 'Ladies Day' once a month which meant I could chose from an array of gifts. Just for being a lady! The experience always ended with humble bowing from the hard workers!
I amen the above comment...except the ladies part (as a member of the other gender). Also, in Japan you're never withing a two minute walk of somewhere to get nomimono (something to drink). We're talking every block, every public building, and yes even way out in the rice fields. There always just seems to be a convenient store or random vending machine nearby.
However, Memphis has bar-b-que, not the silly briscket (sp?), but the real stuff...pulled pork. Love it and can't get enough of that smoke house goodness.
Japan has great, cheap, nationalized health insurance! Cost me less than 6 bucks to take Alex to see a doctor. America could take a lesson or two... I HATE our health insurance system here!
In Italy (or at least in Milan) it has got to be the public transportation system. Milan has 100 bus and tram lines, three subway lines and 9 light rail lines. We get a month pass that lets us travel all we want to in the city for less than $40. It isnt necessarily as fast as a car, but you get there.
Another great convenience of Italy is Spizzico. It is a fast food pizza chain that is comparable to McDonalds, but is actually good for you (opt. of fruit salad, cake, fries, or regular salad as the side with drink and a pizza) while being great. My dad rates it as the best pizza he has ever had.
--the Shorts in Italy
Craving a good dinner...at 3am? Head to one of Japan's top quality convenience stores any time of day or night and fill up on shushi, pasta, sandwiches, ice cream...anything your heart desires. Never more than a 10 minute walk away (less if you live downtown).
Post a Comment